The invention of the pen was truly amazing as it provided us with a convenient method to record information and has been around for thousands of years. However, the issue today is that paper and pens are not compatible with the digital-technology all around us in this very modern world. Pens still serve their purpose of jotting down notes in a diary, but what happens when you need to put this information into your laptop or computer?
Not so long ago, your option would involve having to read back these notes while you type this information into your computer. Today, the latest technology offers a solution known as the Digital Pen. The digital pens appear thicker than standard pens and are filled with optical devices, electronic circuits and Bluetooth capabilities.
These pens allow you to record anything that you would like to jot down and then transmit these notes automatically to your chosen computer with wireless technology.
The Digital Desktop
When looking inside these digital pens there are very similar components that are present in an “optical mouse”. However, the difference lies in the fact that these components are stacked in a vertical way opposed to a horizontal way. While the optical mouse is used to track hand movements in the process of reflecting light from the desktop, the digital pen will do the same-thing except more precisely by using an invisible grid of pinpoints or lines on specialized paper.
These digital pens store grid coordinates relating to the points that are moved past and in this way will successfully capture what you are writing. In order to make sure you are able to see what you are writing, these pens make use of conventional refills that leave behind an ink trail like a standard pen. This ink trail is for the convenience of the writer and the computer does not use this trail nor see it or use it.
Every now and again you should upload any writing to a computer. Some models of the digital pens will upload when they are plugged directly into your computer using a USB cable, while others will upload using a docking-station that is also used to charge the battery that is present inside these nifty pens. A few of the advanced or sophisticated brands of digital pens are able to transmit words written using wireless technology like Bluetooth or infrared.
One of the main benefits of the digital pens is related to what occurs with the information captured once sent onto a computer. These digital pens feature PC software packages that will import the data saved on the pen and then decode it, which turns scribbled handwriting into text that is editable.
How The Digital Pen Works
- When you move the pen across the specialized paper the ink refill will leave behind an ink trail that you can see.
- The base of the pen features an infrared LED that shines onto the paper; you won’t be able to see this light as the human eye does not detect infrared.
- The light-detector positioned in the base of these pens is used to pick up recognition marks that have been printed into this specialized paper from the infrared reflected.
- There is a microchip in these pens that utilize the patterns from the reflections and then stores these images of the words that are written.
- Now the Bluetooth antenna that is built-in to these pens transmits this stored data invisibly and wirelessly through-the-air.
- The “wireless” receiver featured in a computer captures these Bluetooth signals and will store what is written. The software now converts the data into editable and normal text into word-processing programs.
Combining the Digital Pen with the Gel Pen
Because the digital pen is more about practicality than aesthetics, a good tip to make things more colorful is to spice up your physical notes with gel ink pens. Sure, the actual text will be stored on your computer, but to look back at what you’ve written and see lots of different colors can be both additional information that you might not have picked up by just looking at the computer and also psychologically pleasing (while also being a stress reliever). Try adding a bit of color (I recommend the Lumify gel pens set on Amazon) to your paper to get the best of both the modern world and the artistic world. You won’t regret it.